Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Why Run A Marathon?

Day 8 – So here it is...the moment of follow through or moments I should say. Missed my weenie 15 minute task. Wallowed in self-pity for the lacks in my life. Tried to get focused, but stumbled. Didn't write yesterday, blah, blah, blah.

Okay good things to consider: 1.) I have cut out potatoes, dairy, wheat and flours of any kind from my diet. It's amazing how in less than a week I feel better physically. I know that stuff: a.) makes me fat and b.) makes me hurt, but having it in my house, cooking it and feeding it to my family can make it difficult to just say "NO!" When I lived alone, I just never had that stuff in my house.

So why a marathon? Having a goal that requires my body to really work at peak performance means that I feel more empowered to say no to those foods tempting though they may be. The real test will be in a party situation, which will be happening at my home over the weekend.

The other dietary change I have made is to eat a very small dinner meal and a good sized lunch. So far this may be helping me to sleep better at night. I also put a container of almonds in the car in the console and have been happily nibbling at them in a number of instances where I found myself sliding into low blood sugar. Did I mention that I was hypoglycemic? This has been with me for most of my life. I go through phases of not dealing with it so well. Again running a marathon, having a discernible goal that requires me to focus on this old body is quite helpful.

I think the other thing that is compelling about running a marathon is that it is very much like climbing a mountain, something I did in my 20s, though I think I didn't do it so successfully. Dreadfully, I am a very judgmental person. I don't feel successful on any front. I am hoping that I can really expand myself and work on leaving that behind. Frankly, judgmental people are hard to live with. Maybe somehow I can become gentler with myself as I push towards my goal. We'll see.

Awakening Joy quote: ". . . and I'm really blessed."

2 comments:

  1. I had a friend who's mother used to run the half marathon at the age of 75 !

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool. Really the whole process is about how to age gracefully and with vigor.

    ReplyDelete