Thursday, October 18, 2012

Mini Personal Goals

DAY 2 – First Goal: do the walking I planned for myself, but have let slide. For the next 2 weeks I want to walk 3 miles per day, five days a week. November 1st, I'll start mapping out the marathon plan. I looked at all three books yesterday. Skimmed Marathon Training for Dummies. That will be the bible as it breaks everything down very simply. Tonight I want to begin reading Marathon, The Ultimate Training Guide so I can educate myself about this crazy, hugh endeavor.

I have to say that I feel hopeful this morning, which I haven't felt for along time. The other cool thing about running a marathon, it doesn't matter if I get a job, I can still go for it. I have a number of applications out so it's all about waiting on the academic world. Also I feel like I have taken control of my life. I'm not just waiting for something to happen. Regarding work and the application process, it's like the awful feeling of dating—just waiting for some dang guy to call—so much better to be off doing something one enjoys. Finally, I am doing one of the steps from the Awakening Joy course I am taking, which is to move everyday.

Yesterday I also remembered an article I read about skinny people. I looked it up and here is a brief overview from a Dr. Oz video (as picked up by Fashion, Fitness & Frank Talk). I didn't watch the video, but read an article when it first came out. Below is the essence. I love the internet, so many fitness folks out there and many picked up this list. I will Pin blogs, books, articles and general information I find on my Pinterest Board: Running a Marathon at 50.


1. Exercise in the morning [I remember this as exercise then eat a big breakfast, see 4.]
2. Eat smaller meals throughout the day
3.  Eat slower, savor food
4.  Don’t skip breakfast
5.  Better monitors of health (weighing yourself, tracking your food intake)
6.  Fitness hobbies outside of the gym (sports, swimming, yoga)
7.  Drink water

Second Goal: do number 7 on the above list. When I was pregnant I drank a gallon of water almost everyday. I had a thirst that couldn't be tamed. I, of course, stopped because I didn't feel so thirsty once my daughter was born. Anyway I want to up my water intake. I read somewhere that teas and lemon infused water counts. For some reason, I can get down more liquid in the herbal tea form.

Today's gallon concoction is: one raspberry leaf tea bag (good for female parts), four bags of peppermint tea (my favorite flavor), 1/4 cup organic lemon juice, and 1/8 cup raw agave. Mix together with added ice in a gallon container and go: my goal to drink it all today. Go, go, go...

Awakening Joy quote: Share your time and resources

2 comments:

  1. Maureen,
    I know this is a struggle for you, as it is for me - and I don't have the extra person to care for! Definitely try the yoga. I'm loving it and I feel so much better. And it totally kicks my butt, but in a good way. And I hear you on drinking enough water. I get going so fast during the day that I forget, so I take a bottle that Jason bought me and fill it with water and as I drive from the house to the freeway - about 10 minutes - I sip water. Of course this means hitting the bathroom the minute I get in the door at work. But at least I've got a good start. I also try to drink a glass of water before Jason and I head out for a run, and another when I get back. Good luck, and bravo - proud you've made a plan and putting it into action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey dear friend, Thank you for the encouragement and the tip. I will check into the yoga.

      Delete