Monday, March 29, 2021

Two old girls...

So a baby step for getting outside today. An hour walk up to the campground gate. First a little splash and drink for the canine girl at one of my favorite spots. Next goal is to head up through the campground to the trailhead. Not much snow left now, though possibly more snow will come this next month. 

Walking or more importantly running at nearly 8,000 foot elevation is to suck a bit of air at times. As I was walking I was reminded when as a much younger and tougher chick—hanging out at 16,000 felt like drowning. Making a climb on Mount Elbrus in the Caucasus Mountains of then Soviet Georgia in the mid-80s was amazing and awful at the same time. At this point I find it sad that I carried a lot of shame about not making the summit. Who the heck cares now? It was an incredible trip of a lifetime.

I have put this body through so many intense experiences. At this point my health is excellent. I need a few tweaks on a regular basis to keep my back happy, but overall I'm grateful for my stamina and general health. The older I get the more awake I feel. The follow up to the Soviet climbing exchange was here in Colorado. Soviets, Hungarians, and Americans climbed Snowmass Mountain. 

Sadly, it's a trip I hardly remember. I tripped and then slid down part of a mountain side and had to self-arrest with my ice axe just before hitting an outcropping of rocks. I was a bit of a mess after that and one of the guys just dogged me because every step I took I felt so scared. Also my boots were killing the bottoms of my feet and my pack though top of line was too big and truly too heavy for me. Is it any wonder my back now suffers?

What's so amazing is how much great gear there is now for women that is designed especially with women in mind. Back in the 80s this was not the case. "We've come along way baby..."

The picture on the right is the view heading back down into town. I tried a little jogging, but the tweak I had on Sunday morning with a new craniosacral practitioner greatly improved things, but not quite enough. Tuesday evening I'm going for another appointment. 

The other thing that came up after thinking about the Snowmass incident was how I would like to go on a Wild Women Adventure to Alaska. This company has great itineraries of women-guided  women only expeditions through out the world. One element of this Alaska trip is climbing with crampons on a glacier—maybe a chance for me to work through that old BS. And then I thought wouldn't it be cool to do it with my daughter. Something to save for and plan on doing in a few years. Interestingly I had a book (now pack away in a box in my storage) back in college titled Wild Women Adventures. An incredible evolution has happened for outdoor sports for women: awesome clothes, gear, trips—all just for "the ladies." And even running gear. I need a beanie with the hole for a ponytail. Yes that is a thing and I want one. This morning I was overdressed and just before I headed out the door my daughter said I would overheat once I got moving. I took off two layers and then added a knit hat over my ball cap. Kind of a silly look but it kept me comfortable. Neck, ears and core must be warm. Too many close calls with hypothermia...I hate being wet and cold.

On the writing front I have almost nailed my essay. I thought I could write tonight, but this essay is tricky and my head needs to be in the right place to finish. I have two more paragraphs, which will expand into adding another page. Also I'm submitting three poems with the piece à la John Berger. And a dear artist friend is letting me use a photo his late photographer dad shot, which looks like it's never been shown—lucky me.

Final thought: no to coffee and Swiss Miss. Even half a cup of espresso at 10am was too much caffeine. The Swiss Miss also had something in it. This body is like an old car, I can go forever, but I must have the right fuel. Tomorrow organic cocoa that's light on the sugar and some decaf coffee, both from the health food store to prepare for next Saturday's treat.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment